This is my new blog to continue my journey with my Dales Ponies. It will also be the story of my building a new life for myself, alone now, except for my friends, horses and dogs, since my partner died in March 2009. We had lived and worked together, mostly twenty four hours a day, for nearly 28 years and I have never lived alone before. It is a tribute to my wonderful friends that I am still here, still sane(ish) and ready to re-invent myself. I love them all more than words can ever say and can never thank them enough for all they have done and are still doing. It is also a tribute to Alexandra Kurland and 'The Click That Teaches' that I know how to save myself now. To new beginnings.......

Sunday 20 September 2009

Crystal's First Show with Us.

Crystal was a little angel at the show today. She is a total pro and knows the job inside out. Her 10 year old handler had never taken a pony in the ring before but did a superb job and followed instructions to the letter, with three generations of her family cheering them on and wearing a waistcoat especially made for her by her grandmother who was watching too.

She came 3rd in quite a big class in the Junior Handler and then, spurred on by her success, she took their own pony, who has been a bit of a character in the past, in the Unregistered Mountain and Moorland. Her family were waiting for disater to strike but Maurice was perfectly behaved and completely relaxed, showed himself off beautifully and came 5th. She was so delighted to win 2 rosettes at her very first show.

I took Crystal in the Registered Moutain and Moorland and came 5th too. The judge told me she was too quiet and needed waking up a bit. I replied that she was just the way I wanted her to be, as a pony for small children to ride, and I wouldn't change a single thing about her. I have SO got the right pony for the job and she is worth her weight in gold to me!

Her handler's sister rode her round to the show and home again and I had people asking about the Inky Dinky Saddle. I told them how wonderful it is and how to find the website.

We all had such a brilliant day and all came home together exausted but very happy. The two girls and their mum said that competing at the show had always been their dream. Now they've not only done that but won rossetes too!!! We are already planning some ridden classes for them next year. I enjoyed watching and helping the girls far more than doing it myself, giving them thumbs up from outside the ring and taking loads of photos. I waa so proud of them all today and they all looked like they did this sort of thing every day of the week. To be part of their joy and elation was a real privilige and I loved every second of it!

When we got home one of my farmer friends was here with his daughter and we managed to get some tractor jobs done and did some planning on what we are tackling next. He hates to see me spending money on anything and tries to find a way for them to get everything done for me, which is incredibly kind of them both but I worry all the time that they do too much here for nothing, when they're not big wage earners either. I haven't even managed to get a bill out of them for doing the hay and haylage yet! I keep telling them that I'll spend it all on buying small ponies if they don't produce one soon!!!!

He reminded me that just a couple of months ago I was telling him that I would never get the hang of driving and would have to get a motor bike. I was SUCH a drama queen!!!!

Here are the photos from today. The grey is the girls pony, Maurice, who lives here too.




















8 comments:

  1. Crystal seems to be such an excellent pony - how wonderful to have her! The other pony is delightful as well. I expect a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really IS gorgeous. Beautiful pony. Perhaps her tail needs some TLC, but otherwise she is puuurfect.

    How old is she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOOOO cute for words!! Had to laugh at your comment to the judge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely girl Crystal is. I agree about her being quiet and safe for children as being far more important than "up and alert" for an in hand class. Ponies for children need to have good sense and good attitudes. You have a real winner there.

    The girls look great with her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you all had a wonderful day :-)
    Chrystal is just adorable!
    I agree with you - quite and safe is the absolutely best qualities in a children's pony. Ponies like that are worth their weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal looks lovely, she is like an 'A' version of my 'D' Lady, also bay and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all very much indeed!

    Muriel, Crystal is 13yo. Her registered name is Creetings Lucky Crystal and I'm going to write to her breeder, who kept her until she was 7, to try to find out about her showing career and whether she's had any foals.

    I'm planning to have a go at breaking her to harness, so that she will get plenty of exercise, and because driving horses has always scared me half to death, so it will be a good challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pony!

    Just curious-- what kind of saddle is that?

    Found you blog about a week ago and have very much enjoyed reading through it so far.

    cheers,

    Mary H.
    http://stalecheerios.com/blog

    ReplyDelete