This is my new blog to continue my journey with my Dales Ponies. It will also be the story of my building a new life for myself, alone now, except for my friends, horses and dogs, since my partner died in March 2009. We had lived and worked together, mostly twenty four hours a day, for nearly 28 years and I have never lived alone before. It is a tribute to my wonderful friends that I am still here, still sane(ish) and ready to re-invent myself. I love them all more than words can ever say and can never thank them enough for all they have done and are still doing. It is also a tribute to Alexandra Kurland and 'The Click That Teaches' that I know how to save myself now. To new beginnings.......

Saturday 19 September 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy!!!!

I've had a very busy few days. I had to go to the Probate meeting on Friday which was in a city centre. I didn't fancy trying to park the Landy and didn't really know where I was going so took a taxi instead. The taxi driver drove me to the hospital many times in February and March and I hadn't seen him since. His wife worked in the doctors surgery that David went to and so he knew that David had died. He was great company then and now, and very kind and understanding. I invited him and his wife to the party and I think they'll come.

The two new horses arrived late last night. They are a chestnut Welsh Cob with a flaxen mane and tail who drives and does Western, and the cutest little companion pony called Rupert, who loves childen and lots of fuss. They both settled in straight away and seem quite at home here. I must take photos of all these horses!

Denny's owner, her other half and her brother came today to get her stables ready and they are all such great people and such good fun to be with. She has the cutest dog I've ever seen who rides her ponies. I've told her that I must take a photo to put on here.

I drove to the local saddlery to get Crystal a bridle as we are taking her to the local show tomorrow. One of my friend's daughters is taking her in the Young Handler and we're walking there in a convoy of ponies and children, and meeting Denny's owner there with Denny's mum, Baby. I'm really looking forward to it. I might take Crystal in the In Hand Mountain and Moorland as well. I bathed her tonight and she was very patient and tolerant.

All three of my friend's children had a sit on her on Thursday, in the Inky Dinky saddle. The two year old had only sat on a stationary pony once before but the Inky Dinky made him sit like a dressage rider and he was so stable and balanced on it. They all said how comfortable it was so I just HAD to try it!!!!! It's fantastic and I loved it. It's designer told me that she'd had a small 10yo in it. I will have to let her know she's had a 52yo in it now!!!!

One of my farmer friends wanted to borrow an electric fencing unit for his partridges and so I loaded it and Meggie into the Land Rover and drove them around to their farm. I just LOVED being able to do something for him for a change!! I had a good chat with his wife and his mother and drove home feeling proud of myself and useful for once. I love the Landy more every time I drive it now. Everyone says that if I can drive that I can drive anything and I can drive it, and drive it well. It makes me feel really proud, happy and confident.

After I passed my driving theory test we all met at the local pub for a drink and I felt like crying. I felt like half a person out with a load of whole people, even though several of them are single and they were all being incredibly kind to me. I don't feel like that anymore. I feel like a whole person again now.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love a picture gallery of all the horses - if you have the time and inclination. The new horse and pony sound excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how many horses do you have now ? O_o
    And the more important question who mucks out the stable? ^-^

    I am so happy for you, But I have to tell you that after driving my Landy for 6 yrs with an average of 50 km a day for 4 and half year, I will trade him for a nice nippy smaller car. But then I drive the long version of the Defender.
    I dream of a Toyota Rav 4 three doors in red ^-^!

    Do not forget to put a photo of the Landy in your horse pic gallery ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, that's a lot of horses!

    How great to be able to take that fence charger over on your own. To have something to loan someone who's been a help and then to make it easy for them to borrow it, is a great gift to yourself.

    Your new independence grows by leaps and bounds at each post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all very much.

    I will do a photo gallery Kate.

    Muriel, I must do a count up because I've lost track! I muck out my 6 plus liveries and the others are on DIY, thank goodness!!!!

    It's so brilliant, Jean, to just be able to leap in the Land Rover whenever I feel like it. It's going to take me ages to get over the novelty of it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete