This is my new blog to continue my journey with my Dales Ponies. It will also be the story of my building a new life for myself, alone now, except for my friends, horses and dogs, since my partner died in March 2009. We had lived and worked together, mostly twenty four hours a day, for nearly 28 years and I have never lived alone before. It is a tribute to my wonderful friends that I am still here, still sane(ish) and ready to re-invent myself. I love them all more than words can ever say and can never thank them enough for all they have done and are still doing. It is also a tribute to Alexandra Kurland and 'The Click That Teaches' that I know how to save myself now. To new beginnings.......

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Horses and Friends.

I promise thaat I will start writing about what I'm doing with mine and other people's horses as soon as the novelty of helping with my own hay is over, which will be tomorrow, as we are baling it then, all being well with the weather.

I told one of my friends that people were asking to hear about the horses again and he said where would horses be without hay? Very true!!!!

I turned it again today and, me being me, asked if there was any reason I couldn't do it in a different way, which seemed more logical to me. He said it was always done the other way but to try it and report back. It cut my turning time in half and meant that I was certain I hadn't missed any.

That's what I love about my friends. They are all enablers. They believe in empowering people with the information and confidence they need to try to do things for themselves. I asked my farrier once to help me work out something with the Land Rover and he said that I should wait until a mechanic could show me properly. My friends would all say "Of course, we'll soon work that out, lets give it a go!" I LOVE that attitude and it's one that I try to carry over to people I help with their horses.

I have come to the conclusion that the secret of being happy, fulfilled and confident, for me, is to always try to be brave. If it all goes pair shaped but I know that I did my best and gave it my all, then I can have nothing to beat myself up over.

I treat the horses I work with as trusted friends unless they prove otherwise, and they so far have all responded to the responsibility with respect and courtesy, and usually with affection too. I find that the people I meet these days do too. I look at most people and they seem to shine now, in a way I never noticed before. I was so bound up with horses that I never noticed how lovely, kind and generous most people are. I don't know why I never noticed before.

I said in an earlier post that I'd write about my new plan and I haven't done so yet. It's to organise monthly horsey coffee mornings here, with talks and demonstrations by various people. I had in mind my horse dentist, his wife who does some sort of light therapy, someone who does equine massage, a person locally who used to ride with The Devil's Horsemen and teaches stunt riding, etc (only found out about her today - very excited about meeting her!), my horses doing some clicker training, etc. etc. I've only mentioned it to a few people and people are already ringing me up to enquire about it.

I told one of my friends today about all of this and she said that my dreams all seem to be coming true. I really think that they might be. To think that just five months ago I thought my life was over - colourless and empty forever.

It just goes to show that you should never stop trying and never give up hope or belief. Please may I always be as bold and brave as I feel right now, tackling life head on but with care, friendship, understanding and affection for everyone I meet, human and equine alike.

My views out of the tractor windows today while turning my hay:




My haylage which I didn't help with because I didn't know I could!:


Meggie's answer to getting out of the sun during our lunch break:


8 comments:

  1. I take it your hay is going into round bales? I have square here, but some of the farmers make up the big round ones. The haylage looks nice and neat, there. My supplier was going to try some...don't know if he did or not, but his baled dry hay is so far superb this year!

    What a nice idea to have coffees featuring horse speakers. Glad to hear people are interested. If you get a nice group going it will be one more exceptional accomplishment to add to your growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meggie looks so cute and relax. Is she a Jack Rusell or a York? Are they creature of boundless energy LOL?

    We have round bale here. It is very hard to find the square one. The problem with the round for a owner with a couple of horses, it is the waste. Also you would need two open if you were to feed different types of hay i.e. like oat hay and lucerne. We alternate at our yard.

    I am glad you are opening to the world, and I find it amazing what you have accomplished within 5 months. It is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you so happy you have come such a long way,I think your coffee morning idea sounds wonderful.if you get a nice crowd you could have the equivalent of the Parelli play days which could be clicker based.

    I am gutted that we are so far away,would have loved to come, also would love to spend some time with you,but when looked into the logistics dont pan out.

    I am however writing today to Mandy Claxon, who trains with bruce and kirsy logan, she is only in east sussex,and she knows more about problem horses than any one I know,its what the Logans specialize in horses with problems and colt starts and she trains out in Texas with them!

    Thanks for all your helpful comments,its obviously a problem I have to sort, my lovely mad friend has just stopped by for a coffee,and cheered me up by reminding me how she stopped by whilst the Event was going on and her little TB went completely ridged when he saw all the horses galloping around and was ballistic all the way home.I recon Soph's has had quite a lot to put up with this year,including those youngsters galloping up her bum the other week!

    Hope you make some fantastic hay,the weather is just right for baling. Keep up the happy Helen, she is going to be quiet someone to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy that you are happy today, Helen :D

    And your dog is just the cutest.
    Could I have a copy, pleeeease?

    Your idea with coffee mornings sounds great. I hope you carry it through, I would love to hear about them on your blog.

    It is strange to me to hear that you are working with the hay now. But I suppose that is a second harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please how do you post photos on blogger?

    I can only post photos with URL from the net.

    Can you give a step-by-step?

    I usually download my RESIZED photos to photobucket but blogger does NOT download them.
    Any idea why?

    I have asked the same question to Jean.

    I would be foerever grateful, if somebody gives me a clue ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone!

    Jean, they will be large square bales this time. My friend was going to sell his square baler but hasn't yet, I'm glad to say, as I find them much easier to use for the horses than round bales. The haylage is for the cattle primarily and their feeders take round bales.

    Muriel, Meg's mum was a Jack Russel but I think her dad was a Yorkie.

    Thank you so much, Janette, that's a lovely thing to say!

    Horse of Course, of course you can have a copy and I will write about the coffee mornings on my blog. The hay is late but the wet weather has delayed making it and late cut hay is better for my Dales as it has less fructan in it, so is safer from a laminitis point of view.

    Muriel, I download photos into 'my computer' and a folder in 'my pictures', then click on 'add image' at the top of the post, click on browse, find the folder and the photo, and the rest is easy! I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen

    I just love Meggie - she is a really big dog in a little package isn't she?

    It sounds like things are really moving along for you and thats fantastic. I can't remember where you are, as it 'might' be possible I could come up for the monthly sessions..........

    I've just bought myself a laptop (well, macbook) as I've been using my work pc since mine died a couple of years ago. It is perfect for looking at pictures of dales ponies........(hint hint!!)

    I love the way you are choosing to view people, its such a positive thing and enables you to see the best in others. It may have been a very painful way of getting there, but it truly is a gift.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Charlotte, that would be SO brilliant!!!!! I will answer on the other blog! It would be so great if you could and I'd love you to meet all my friends too. We're just like a big family here, without the family squabbles! I know you'd love them too, not to mention the horses.

    I must get someone to take photos of my horses in action again. It's always me on the camera at the moment, which makes life tricky.

    ReplyDelete