This is my new blog to continue my journey with my Dales Ponies. It will also be the story of my building a new life for myself, alone now, except for my friends, horses and dogs, since my partner died in March 2009. We had lived and worked together, mostly twenty four hours a day, for nearly 28 years and I have never lived alone before. It is a tribute to my wonderful friends that I am still here, still sane(ish) and ready to re-invent myself. I love them all more than words can ever say and can never thank them enough for all they have done and are still doing. It is also a tribute to Alexandra Kurland and 'The Click That Teaches' that I know how to save myself now. To new beginnings.......

Thursday 2 July 2009

Magical Moonlit Ride.

I spent most of a boiling hot day yesterday repairing the guttering at the back of the cowshed, where my ponies now reside. I wanted to try and avoid anymore flooding when we have more thunderstorms and the guttering was a mess. I told one of my best friends that DIY can't be that hard if men can do it (you can probably guess that is was a male friend!).

I found myself singing as I worked and the end result, if a bit 'agricultural' should make a difference, cost nothing and gave me a great sense of achievement. I warned my friend that if anyone laughs when they see it there'll be no more cakes!!!! He said it looked just fine from where he was, which was about 5 miles away!

It was too hot to do anything with my ponies until late. I did a little in hand with Jack, including working on his Spanish Walk, which he needs to catch up with Bella in, then rode Bella and did some ridden Spanish Walk, etc. I was going to take Grace out but it was getting dark by then so I rode her in a paddock.

Even though I've only hacked her out for ages now she was going beautifully and really 'with' me when a large, white ghostly form flew overhead. It was one of a pair of Barn Owls that always nest locally. He was swooping about above us when I spotted the pair of Little Owls that nest on the farm, seemingly following me around the paddock, flitting from one fence post to another in the warm, still moonlit night.

It was a magical, mystical experience and one that I knew, even in that moment, will remain indelibly lodged in my memory forever. It felt as though we were in a fairytale and to be sharing it with Grace, when I've shared so many sad and lonely rides with her of late, seemed extra special and very appropriate. She seemed to be as enchanted and entranced as I was and stood like a rock while we drank in the peaceful, soothing atmosphere.

Since I read my main inspiration's words last Friday afternoon I haven't cried or felt deserted once, and believe me that is some record these days! I now have them printed in copper plate script and framed. I am coming to realise that, for me, words are the art form that means the most, much more so than paintings, sculpture or even music. I find endless beauty, solace and inspiration in words, and none more so than those particular words, written straight from the heart.

A good friend of mine lent me Magrit Coates book, 'Horses Talking'. Although I am not really a believer in animal communicators as such, there are some passages in the book that sent tingles up my spine. This passage in particular resonates with me and sums up the feelings I've had with some of my horses, past and present:

"There are some horses that we know slightly throughout our lives, and other horses that look into our eyes and move us so deeply it feels like our souls are shaken. These horses leave permanent imprints of their inspirational presence and love in our hearts and minds. By receiving their powerful messages we are never the same again. Many of us are only ever truly known by horses, especially the ones close to us in our lives…our soul mates.”

and:

“The horse captures the imagination of the human whose soul it mirrors.”

and:

“Love creates a bond and a bridge between horse and human to reach the spiritual depths of both”

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I love the image of the swooping owl in the fading light. Moments like that stir the soul.

    I do believe in animal communicators as I've had too many inexpicable experiences. But even so, the ability of some horses to touch our inner beings and link to our hearts and minds in a truly special way is amazing.

    Now, to the gutters....I really need them on my barn. I was figuring as well DIY. I only have about 34 feet on each side to do, and it's a straight run. Your efforts have given me hope.

    See, now you are serving as inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Helen - this post is just so beautiful! Happy to see that you are doing so well. Today and last night have been rough going as at sunset today I will be scattering my love to the wind over our land which has been in his family for well over 150 years. I've cried alot of tears over the last 24 hours which came as a bit of a shock as my tears had dried of late. I know too though that my laughter will return once I get past today. Sad for the loss of the life we had planned but happy that I still have one and like you, living now for two. We will never truly be alone again! Tomorrow beckons brightly!!

    Stay safe
    Lornz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jean - yes, go for it, just be careful up a ladder!!

    Lornz, great to hear from you and thank you very much too!

    I found scattering the ashes really hard too but, strangely, I have felt David's presence more strongly since I did so. I did it at sunset too - it wasn't planned but I just suddenly felt that I must do it there and then, even though I'd been putting it off for ages.

    My main inspiration's wife and children came to visit today and, while I talked to them (they are the sweetest, kindest people and even brought me a jar of home made strawberry jam), one of my friends who keeps her horse here, on livery so I'm paid to look after him, mucked out her own horse, another livery's and all of mine, then came out in the Land Rover with me. Everyone who recogises the Landy waves and gives me thumbs up when I go out in it. Everyone is so kind to me that it would be positively churlish to have a set back now, so I'm not going to!!!!

    I've not just stopped fearing the future, I'm actually looking forward to it now and a week ago that would have been unimaginable.

    I hope laughter returns to you soon, Lornz. It all still seems so sureal a lot of the time to me, but I'm in calm, still waters now, at last. I hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete