This is my new blog to continue my journey with my Dales Ponies. It will also be the story of my building a new life for myself, alone now, except for my friends, horses and dogs, since my partner died in March 2009. We had lived and worked together, mostly twenty four hours a day, for nearly 28 years and I have never lived alone before. It is a tribute to my wonderful friends that I am still here, still sane(ish) and ready to re-invent myself. I love them all more than words can ever say and can never thank them enough for all they have done and are still doing. It is also a tribute to Alexandra Kurland and 'The Click That Teaches' that I know how to save myself now. To new beginnings.......

Tuesday 3 November 2009

Lots of News and Plans.

I've been even busier than usual lately. One of my farmer friends had last week off work to come ans help me fence the school but, after going with him to buy the fencing, getting the barn ready for the cattle to come in, plus having to dig some granite curbstones buried in the hardcore to get single fence posts in, we didn't get very far!!! However I drove the tractor and post hole auger to bore out the holes for the corner posts, so I had a great time!!!

I also had the pleasure of his company for a whole week and have had to adjust to spending time alone again now. He is an inspiration to work with as he is a driven, perfectionist, workaholic with a work ethic second to none, and always cheerful and positive. He also jogs everywhere between jobs and I've started to do that too, to get fitter for a special event coming up soon!!!

I'm going to look at an Aberdeen Angus bull at the weekend with a view to buying him to get the cows back in calf. It's not ideal timing wise but he sounds like a lovely, quiet bull at a reasonable price. I also have plans for marketing my own, home bred Aberdeen Angus beef which people here are really keen to help with. My two farmer friends aren't convinced about this one but they seem to think that I'm an unstoppable force at the moment!!!!

My loader tractor has been driving me mad as it's so unreliable and keeps breaking down or refusing to start, and I must have a reliable tractor to keep the cattle fed, so it looks as though I'm selling it and buying a materials handler with a telescopic arm! I've driven my friends Manitou and I love it to bits, so I'm really pleased that they're helping me with this and one may already be lined up.

We are having a practice dog agility afternoon on Sunday, with a trainer coming with some equipment. All the clubs around here are full and the people here are very keen. If it goes well we plan to start a dog agility and flyball club here. The plans are already in place and my own dogs could certainly do with the extra time and attention!!

My lodger has moved in and it's lovely to have his company too, plus his girlfriend's company at the weekends. She is a bit of a sole mate of mine and the wisest twenty year old you will ever meet.

I'm going out for a meal with some friends from the yard on Thursday night and we are having a reflexology and chili evening next weekend, then I'm taking a party of 34 people to a Medieval Banquet at The Devil's Horsemen's home base the weekend after, as a big thank you for all their kindness, work and help that they've given me.

Now comes the best bit of all!!!! Rosie, of Jive Pony fame, is coming here to give me a vaulting lesson on Grace!!!!!! I just want to be able to run alongside and vault on at a trot and a canter (just, she says!!!). Rosie has very kindly offered to make the long journey here with her equipment and wants to meet my ponies too. We haven't arranged when yet, as I was hoping we'd finish fencing the school first, but I don't think I can wait too much longer!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Wow - you do have a lot of news - and all exciting! I have a good friend who does a lot of dog agility (with Standard Poodles!) and really enjoys it.

    Vaulting! I hope you get someone to take videos once you can do the basics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, it is a revolution at your yard. You are UNstoppable LOL.
    If you start running, please eat enough. You will need LOTS of fuelling for all your busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Helen!! You certainly have been busy! Love the idea of the agility (both with dogs and vaulting!), that should be so much fun.

    I remember several years ago on a clinic where we were meant to be vaulting on our horses bareback. I took a breath, poised myself, rocked back, ran up to tig..........smacked into her side and bounced off!! She just looked at me as if to say 'oh really, some people'.

    I'm sure you'll be better than I was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You do sound busy, but it's all good.

    Glad to hear so many exciting and positive events are filling up your time. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much everyone!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness! Are you going to stop to take a breath now and then?? And jogging hither and yon in between jobs? Good heavens! I wish you much luck and fun with the vaulting. My lanky, three inches taller than me, daughter tried to leap onto her 14.2 fat Fjord. Willow turned around her head and looked at her half on and half off like "Just what do you think you are doing?". I had to laugh which seemed to make Will even more upset. Her Highness does not like being laughed at. Just food and scratching, please.

    ReplyDelete